Cast Iron Still Bank Collection
This selection is humble, but the quality is there. Here are some pictures to share of an early cast iron still bank collection.
Pictured are still banks by Kyser and Rex, the Animal Bank and Yong America, along side a Victorian Bank and Teller Bank. Kyser and Rex toys have become a favorite in the author’s eyes due to the casting quality and interesting subjects. They were a class act that disappeared before the early 20th century.
The silver Flat Iron Building Bank made by Kenton of Ohio from about 1912-1926. Our pictured example is a larger example than most and it has the desirable combination trap below. It is an iconic building and a superb cast iron still bank.
Discerning eyes will notice that the cast iron Victorian still bank has a block next to it. It is a wooden block with a hand made etching attached. The J & E Stevens still bank picture was used in the early toy catalogs and is an absolute treasure to have next to the end product.
Hope you enjoy the photos of these cast iron still banks!
Kyser & Rex Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1880 – 1884
Founder: L. Kyser and Alfred Rex
In 1879 inventors Louis Kyser and Alfred Rex joined their creative talents to create the Kyser & Rex Company of Frankfort, Pennsylvania. The company manufactured iron cast goods and hardware in addition to a line of mechanical and still banks and bellringer toys. Their bank and toy ingenuity was pushed to an even higher level through the later assistance of Rudolph Hunter, a mechanical engineer and attorney. Kyser & Rex ceased producing goods in 1884 when Kyser left the firm. The company’s name was soon changed to Alfred C. Rex and Company and Rex began to license his patented mechanical banks to other manufacturers until 1898.
Kenton Hardware Co. Kenton, Ohio
1890 – 1952
Founder: F.M. Perkins (Patented line of refrigerator hardware).
Specialty: Toy production began in 1894 with a line of horse-drawn fire equipment, banks, and toy stoves. Renamed Kenton Hardware in 1900. Became part of mammoth National Novelty Corp. merger in 1903, it continued its toy line under the name Wing Mfg. Co. Involved in several unsuccessful takeovers, it eventually emerged as a separate unit, the Kenton Hardware Co., and again produced toys successfully from 1920-1935. Kenton ceased production in 1952 and assets were sold in 1953. The Littlestown Hardware & Foundry acquired many Kenton toy designs and marketed them under the brand “Utexiqual”. Littlestown folded in 1982.