World’s most expensive Toys
Searching for valuable toys and internet research is fraught with mistakes, exaggerations, misrepresentations, and assumptions. I constantly get asked “Did you get a load of that article on the World’s most expensive toys? Barbie? GI Joe? Gundam? Something seems off.”
Let me reframe the question, qualify, then correct. For me, a toy needs to be a production item. Prototypes aren’t toys, they are prototypes. Then in my book, a toy variety should have been played with at one point in time; kid tested. –So Strike the volumes of gemstone laden designer dolls and platinum Gundams robots; those are adult jewelry.
With these qualifications, “World’s most expensive toy” can now come into sharper focus. Not surprisingly, late 1800’s and early 1900’s toys are a prime source for top 20 list. They also happen to be true antique toys (over 100 years old), and have stood the test of time.
Keep in mind PRISTINE and Complete new old stock toys make this list. Prices drop exponentially for condition issues:
- Old Woman in a Shoe cast iron mechanical bank, 1884 W.S. Reed & Co- $426,000 (1998 too!)
- Jonah and the Whale/Jonah Emerges bank, J. & E. Stevens- $414,000
- Kyser & Rex Mikado illusionist bank 1886, Charles A. Bailey bank- $287,500
- Marklin Paddle Wheeler “Chicago”, 1900-1902- $264,500
- Albert Marque doll, 1915 – $263,000
- Marklin “Providence” windup tin boat- $247,250
- 1888 Stevens African-American man kicks a football over watermelon bank- $195,500
- Marklin Lusitania tin liner- $194,500
- 1880s Kyser & Rex Roller Skating bank- $195,500
- Bergmann Santa sleigh pulled by goats- $161,000
- Marklin Live Steam tin Fire Engine- $149,000
- Marklin “Deutschland” electric-powered ocean liner, $149,000.
- Marklin “Kaiserin Augusta Victoria” steam-powered ocean liner- $138,000
- Marklin battleship Mexico- $126,500
- ”Charles” tin fire-engine hose reel 1870 by George M. Brown- $125,000
- Battleship New York- $109,250
- Cast Iron Horse Race Bank- $100,800
- Circus Bank from 1887 Shepard Hardware Co-. $100,800
- Marklin Fidelitas Clown Cars- $103,000
- Hubley Royal Circus van Monkey cage- $97,000
Other toys of interest:
- Hispania 1907 tin limousine- $80,500
- Althof Bergman Mary and her Lamb- $33,000
- Minnie Mouse and baby Felix- $20,900.
- Schoenhut Bandwagon- $44,000
- Girl Skipping Rope cast iron bank- $72,600
- 1906 Marklin Roadster- $57,000
- Teddy Roosevelt Adventures in Africa, Schoenhut- $34,000
Notes: Private Sales have not been included. Also, the list will have omissions, it is simply a general guide of well publicized auction results. Feel free to contact the staff for addendum and suggestions.