A.C. Williams Cast Iron No. 1248D Colonial House Bank Still Penny Coin Bank for Sale
A.C. Williams Cast Iron No. 1248D Colonial House Bank Still Penny Coin Bank
This is an antique, cast iron, gold with red roof No. 1248D “Colonial House Bank” still penny coin bank that was manufactured by A.C. Williams of Ravenna, Ohio. This can be found in Moore’s “The Penny Bank Book” on page 52 and 109, Don Duer’s “The Architecture of Cast Iron Penny Banks” on page 14 and in the A.C. Williams 51st Edition 1934/35 catalog on page 6 and was produced from 1910 to 1935.
This piece is in very good all original condition with no breaks, restorations, repairs, or touch ups. This piece shows the usual patina, fading, dust, chips, scuffs, surface rust, scratches, missing accessories and wear that are to be expected from age and play. This is approximately 2 ½” L x 2 ¼” W x 3” H. We encourage you to examine the photographs to further determine condition and quality.
A brief history of A.C. Williams Co. of Ravenna, Ohio:
The A. C. Williams Company was founded in business in Chagrin Falls, Ohio in 1844. It was founded by John Wesley Williams, the father of A. C. Williams. However, there was a big fire at the company, and a decision was made to move to Ravenna. Ohio. Actual production started there in 1893.
Like the other famous cast iron companies of the time (Hubley, Dent, Kilgore, Arcade, Kenton), A.C. Williams manufactured cast iron cars and trucks. From 1893 to 1923 they produced cast-iron horse-drawn rigs, autos, airplane, penny banks and tractor toys; the line included mostly miniatures distributed through Woolworth, Kresge`s, and other five-and-dime stores. They even produced some tin cars towards the end of the company’s relatively long history. Unfortunately, in 1938 they closed their toy production and continued in other ventures to this day.
1 in stock
|Dimensions||7 × 7 × 6 in|