A.C. Williams ca. 1912-1934 Cast Iron Elephant Toy Bank Green *SOLD*
Antique ca. 1912-1934 A.C. Williams Cast Iron Elephant Toy Bank Green
This beautiful green cast iron figural “Elephant Toy Bank” or “Elephant with Howdah” manufactured from 1912-1934 by the A.C. Williams Co. of Ravenna, Ohio.
This realistic antique still penny bank is of a green standing elephant wearing a howdah. Howdah that means “bed carried by a camel”, it is a carriage which is positioned on the back of an elephant, or occasionally some other animal such as a camel, used most often in the past to carry wealthy people or for use in hunting or warfare. It was also a symbol of wealth for the owner and as a result was decorated with expensive gemstones.
These banks really stand the test of time, but unfortunately most of the time from use the paint fades and chips off. As you can see from our little guy he has been loved and taken care of. It has been cast from two halves that are held together with one screw. The screw appears to be original, with the same wear pattern as the elephants’s side. There is a coin slot on the back of the howdah.
Our example of this still bank is in excellent all original condition with no restorations, repairs, breaks or touch ups. The bank shows the usual patina, chips, scuffs, scratches, and wear that are to be expected from age and use. It is approximately 4” L x 3 ¼” H. This would be a great addition to any cast iron bank collection. We invite you to view the photos to further determine quality and condition.
A brief history of A.C. Williams Co. of Ravenna, Ohio:
The A. C. Williams Company was founded in business in Chagrin Falls, Ohio in 1844. It was founded by John Wesley Williams, the father of A. C. Williams. However there was a big fire at the company, and a decision was made to move to Ravenna. Ohio. Actual production started there in 1893.
Like the other famous cast iron companies of the time (Hubley, Dent, Kilgore, Arcade, Kenton), A.C. Williams manufactured cast iron cars and trucks. From 1893 to 1923 they produced cast-iron horse-drawn rigs, autos, airplane, penny banks and tractor toys; the line included mostly miniatures distributed through Woolworth, Kresge`s, and other five-and-dime stores. They even produced some tin cars towards the end of the company’s relatively long history. Unfortunately, in 1938 they closed their toy production and continued in other ventures to this day.
|Dimensions||10 × 10 × 10 in|