Auburn Rubber Co. & The Sun Rubber Co. ca. 1930s Rubber Set of 3 Cars for Sale
Auburn Rubber Co. & The Sun Rubber Co. ca. 1930s Rubber Set of 3 Cars
We have for you these ca. 1930s rubber set of cars that were manufactured by the Auburn Rubber Co. of Auburn, Indiana (Red) and The Sun Rubber Company of Barberton, Ohio (Green, Silver).
The rubber tires are still intact, but as per usual with toys of this age, they may have petrified, discolored, warped, and/or cracked.
These pieces are in very good all original condition with no breaks, restorations, repairs, or touch-ups. These pieces show the usual patina, fading, dust, chips, scuffs, surface rust, scratches, missing accessories, and wear that is to be expected from age and play. They are approximately 4-5″ L. We invite you to view the photos to further determine quality and condition.
A brief history of the Auburn Rubber Company of Auburn, Indiana:
1913 – 1969 (production of toys started in 1935)
Founder: A. L. Murray and William H. Willennar
Specialty: Auburn Rubber started in 1913 as the Double Fabric Tire Company and they specialized in making rubber sheets for shoe soles and rubber tires. In the 1920s, the name changed to the Auburn Rubber Company. In 1935, they started producing toys. They specialized in rubber and vinyl vehicle toys and animals. They introduced a line of English Palace Guards toy soldiers, as well as miniatures for the European and American branches of the military service. During World War II, the company continued to make rubber sheets for shoe soles, except now for combat boots and gaskets for “jerry cans.” At this time, they also started making toys out of plastic. After the war, a new plant was opened in Connellsville, Pennsylvania, devoted to the production of toys. In 1959, their toy division moved to Deming, New Mexico. Auburn Rubber in Deming went out of business in 1969, and its toy cars could be found in retail stores through the early 1970s.
Other names: Double Fabric Tire Company (1913-the 1920s)
|Dimensions||9 × 9 × 9 in|