Call Us! 1-727-777-4206 Today!

J.E. Stevens Co. Cast Iron No. 322 “Jumping Rope Bank” Reproduction Mechanical Bank *SOLD*

J.E. Stevens Co. Cast Iron No. 322 “Jumping Rope Bank” Reproduction Mechanical Bank 

We have for you a cast iron reproduction of the ca. 1890s no. 322 “Jumping Rope Bank” mechanical bank that was manufactured by J. & E. Stevens & Company of Cromwell, Connecticut, and designed by Dr. James H. Bowen of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This bank can be found in the J.E. Stevens Co. 1895 “Export Catalogue of Pistols for Harmless Paper Caps, Toy Banks, etc., etc.” on page 25.  

This mechanical bank works by winding the handle, placing a coin on the coin slot, and pressing the lever down. When the lever is pressed down the coin falls into the bank and the rope begins to twirl and the girl jumps the rope. The clockwork mechanism inside works and it works as it is supposed to.  

We normally wouldn’t have put this one up because we suspect it to be a recast/reproduction and definitely a repaint, but the action on this bank is very neat and we wanted to share it.  

This piece is in great to great all original reproduced and repainted condition. This piece shows the usual patina, fading, dust, chips, scuffs, surface rust, scratches, missing accessories, and wear that are to be expected from age and play. This is approximately 8 ½” L x 5 ½” W x 8 ½” H. We invite you to view the photos to further determine quality and condition.    

     

     

A brief history of J. & E. Stevens of Cromwell, Connecticut:   

J & E. Stevens of Cromwell, Connecticut operated between 1842 and into the 1950s and was founded by blacksmith John Stevens and his brother Elisha Stevens. When J. & E. Stevens began, they first started making cast iron hardware, hammers, and simple iron toys. Their metal fabrication line also included stubs, plates, door buttons, as well as, wardrobe, coat, and hat hooks. They are believed to be one of the first manufacturers of cast-iron toys in the United States. They manufactured toys such as cannons, locomotives, whistling tops, toy irons, kettles, skillets, and stoves.    

Throughout their time they made a variety of toys and are most famous for their more than 300 types of mechanical banks and cap pistols. The company specialized in cast-iron mechanical banks from 1870 until the turn of the century. In 1859 they produced their first cap pistol and by 1928 they devoted themselves entirely to the production of cap pistols. An interesting side note is that J. & E. Stevens supplied The Gong Bell Manufacturing Company of Hampton, Connecticut, and Watrous Bell Toys with the castings for their bell toys. Elisha Stevens later joined George Brown to establish the Stevens & Brown. Brown and Elisha Stevens started a new toy enterprise in Cromwell in 1869 producing a variety of tin toys. During World War II the company closed due to the shortage of iron and the company was sold to Buckley Brothers of New York in 1950. 

Additional information

Weight 7 lbs
Dimensions 12 × 12 × 12 in